To manage and track mac printing, the mac computer must print to the shared printer on any Windows computer. If there is not shared printer on Windows computer, you can share the printer on the Windows computer that has PrinterAdmin Print Job Manager installed.
To set up the PC, share the printer on the network and then connect to the printer from the MAC, follow the steps below for the PC and the MAC.
Step 1. On the Windows PC (or Server)
First, Enable the LDP Print Service using the following steps:
1. Click Start, and click Control panel
2. Click Programs and then click Programs and Features
3. Click Turn Windows Features on or off
4. Click to expand Print and Document Services
5. Check the box for LDP Print Services
6. Click OK and close the Programs and Features window
Next, share the Windows printer on the network using the following steps:
1. Click Start, type Devices and Printers in the Search text box
2. Click Devices and Printers from the list above
3. Right-click on the printer to be shared and click Printer properties
4. Click the Sharing tab and click Change Sharing Options
5. Check the box to Share this printer
6. Set the name for the share
(Note: use a share name with no spaces, Example: Windows_HP_Printer)
7. Click OK and then close the Properties and Devices and Printers windows
Step 2. On the Mac
The last step, connect the printer to the MAC using the following steps:
1. Go to Start Applications then Utilities and then Printer Setup Utility
2. Hold down the Option key and click the More Printers button
3. From the top menu select Advanced
Note: If you don't get an Advanced button (Snow Leopard 10.5) right click (or equivalent) on the printer’s toolbar and click Customize, and then drag and drop the Advance tab on the toolbar.
4. From the Device: field select LPD/LPR Host or Printer
5. In the Device URL: type lpd://PCName/PrinterShareName
6. Click the Add button
7. Test printing to the Windows printer from the MAC.
If you just want to track the mac printing, Print Job Agent for Mac is not required. Skip the following Step 3.
Step 3. Print Job Agent for Mac provides the following additional features:
1. Allows users to confirm or cancel the print jobs in the print notification popup before the print jobs actually print.
2. Allows users to enter user ID and (or) PIN before the print jobs can be actually printed.
3. Allows users to enter or select a client billing code / job code / project code before the print jobs can be actually printed.
Mac OS X/Classic: PrintJobAgent.app.tar and tracker_ip.ini
1. Open tracker_ip.ini, enter the computer name or the IP address of computer that has PrinterAdmin Print Job Manager installed.
2. Copy PrintJobAgent.app.tar and tracker_ip.ini to Mac computer.
3. Double click PrintJobAgent to run it. If it doesn’t run, try a different agent.
4. You can make agent run automatically when Mac machine starts up:
Step 1: Find the PrintJobAgent application icon and click on it.
Step 2: Click on the File menu and select Make Alias. Drag the alias to the desktop where you can get at it.
Step 3: Double-click to open the System Folder and locate the Startup Items folder.
Step 4: Drop the alias into the Startup Items folder. The next time you start up your Mac, the application will launch.
Go into the system preferences - accounts - login items, you can adjust what programs load and don't load at sign in.